Situations Where You Can Sue A Municipality For A Car Accident

After a car accident, it's very common for one or both of the drivers to be considered at fault. However, in other cases, the person responsible wasn't even on the road at the time of the accident and cannot even be considered a person. Instead, the party at fault might be your local municipality. By holding your municipality accountable and taking legal action, you may receive compensation for some of your damages. 

Road Design Defects

Your car accident might have been the result of design defects found on the roads. If you are working with an auto accident attorney, they might explain the proper road design that a reasonable municipality would use so that you can prove that the municipality was negligent. 

Poorly Maintained Roads

Even if the road is designed properly, it also needs to be repaired. If the road has any potholes, these need to be fixed. If the road only has minor damage, this might not be considered substantial enough to hold the municipality responsible for the accident. 

If you believe that the lack of maintenance was substantial, taking photographs to highlight the road conditions can be very helpful. For example, if there was construction debris left behind, photographs of the debris can be useful if they were a factor in your accident.

A Lack of Adequate Signs

Your accident might have resulted from either you or the other driver being confused because of inadequate road signage or poorly designed road markings. These problems can be severe enough to lead to you not being able to safely navigate the road and ending up in a severe accident. 

Lawsuits Against a Municipality

You are able to take legal action against the US government. However, you will need to take a different approach from what you would need to do when taking legal action against a private party. Therefore, it's important to consult with an auto accident attorney before doing so.

When suing the government, you will not be able to collect as much in damages as you would if you were taking legal action against a private party or an auto insurance provider. You also have a shorter statute of limitations. Otherwise, filing a claim is similar to taking legal action against a private party. You will need to present evidence of negligence and evidence that you were injured as a result of the negligence of the municipality. Then, you will be entitled to compensation. 

Reach out to a local auto accident attorney to learn more.

About Me

filing an injury lawsuit after a dog bite

When my neighbor's dog broke off of his chain and came ripping through the yard at me, I felt a fear that I will never forget. That crazy dog jumped up at my face and started biting me. Fortunately, the neighbor was able to pull that dog off of me before the dog did too much damage. I decided to contact a lawyer after the owner of the dog refused to get rid of the dog. I felt that if he was held responsible for the medical costs and the suffering that I have, and will continue to go through, that he may have a second thought. Find out about filing an injury lawsuit after a dog bite here on my blog.