Have You Been Slandered? Take These Steps Now

If you are seeking legal advice, it's always best to consult with a qualified attorney who specializes in defamation law in your jurisdiction. Slander is a type of defamation, which refers to making false spoken statements that harm the reputation of an individual or entity. Slander specifically involves making false spoken statements, as opposed to written or printed statements (which would fall under libel, another form of defamation). In slander cases, the false spoken statements must be communicated to a third party, meaning someone other than the person who made the statement and the person being discussed.

Gather Evidence

Collect any evidence that supports your claim of slander. This could include written or recorded statements, witnesses, or any other documentation that can help establish the false statement and its impact on your reputation.

Consult an Attorney

If you believe you've been slandered and it's causing harm to your reputation, it's advisable to consult with an attorney who specializes in defamation law. They can provide guidance based on the specific laws in your jurisdiction and help you understand the strength of your case.

Cease and Desist Letter

Your attorney might advise you to send a cease-and-desist letter to the person who made the false statement. This letter typically outlines the false statement, requests a retraction or correction, and warns of potential legal action if the false statements continue.

Retraction or Correction

In some cases, the person who made the false statement might be willing to retract or correct their statement. Your attorney can help negotiate this, if appropriate.

Consider Mediation

Depending on the situation, you might consider mediation to resolve the issue without going to court. Mediation involves a neutral third party who helps both parties reach a mutually agreeable resolution.

Legal Action

If all else fails, and the false statements are causing significant harm to your reputation, your attorney might recommend filing a defamation lawsuit. Keep in mind that defamation laws vary by jurisdiction, and proving a defamation case can be challenging. You'll need to demonstrate that the false statement was made, that it harmed your reputation, and that it was not protected by any legal defenses (such as truth, opinion, or privilege).


If you are successful in your defamation lawsuit, you might be awarded damages to compensate for the harm done to your reputation. These damages could be financial, and they might also include an injunction to prevent further dissemination of the false statements.

Speak to a personal injury lawyer to learn more.

About Me

filing an injury lawsuit after a dog bite

When my neighbor's dog broke off of his chain and came ripping through the yard at me, I felt a fear that I will never forget. That crazy dog jumped up at my face and started biting me. Fortunately, the neighbor was able to pull that dog off of me before the dog did too much damage. I decided to contact a lawyer after the owner of the dog refused to get rid of the dog. I felt that if he was held responsible for the medical costs and the suffering that I have, and will continue to go through, that he may have a second thought. Find out about filing an injury lawsuit after a dog bite here on my blog.